||-O2 and -o switches missing
||Change to 'gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -O2 -o foo foo.c'
||near bottom of page: 'full of gotos'
monospace font required: 'full of
||should be in
||Two of the three occurrences of
strcat in the penultimate paragraph are wrong.
Name (wow, that must have been a 3am job!)
||Last paragraph - 'signed' and 'unsigned'
||Should be in
||Should be '%lu'
||should be in italics
||Listing 7.6 - spurious line:
header file (trace macros)>
|Remove the line. This is a typo, not a techie error, because
I checked the CD code and it's fine. :-)
||Listing 7.7 - That dreadful code for getting a filename is flawed - the
modulo ops should be divisions (for
YearsSince1999), which means that the surrounding
if statements can be removed. How I wish I'd written
that code in the year 2000 - it would have been so much cleaner!
|Change mods to divs, and remove surrounding conditionals.
|Dire writing style!
||'The oddity here is that we need two sets of
parentheses, which does look a little odd.'
||Change 'odd' to 'weird' :-)
||In the sidebar, I didn't make it very clear why
my code failed to compile.
||What happened was this: The project was built using
a DEBUG flag which was set in the compiler options
in the JCL (you know the kind of thing:
At one point in my code, I did a little debug-only
calculation just to check that something important
had been done correctly. For this, I needed a variable.
Since it wasn't a "production" variable, I
enclosed its definition in
I then used the value of the variable in an
assert() statement - that was the
whole point of the exercise, in fact. Now, the
guys responsible for building the release version
of the code did so simply by removing the
-DDEBUG=1 bit from the JCL. Thus,
my assertion didn't compile (because it was
suddenly using an undefined variable). But of
course the assertion shouldn't have been compiled
at all, and would not have been, had the JCL
-DNDEBUG=1 as they should
have done. Partly my fault for not making the variable
dependent on !NDEBUG rather than
partly their fault for not defining
NDEBUG, and partly the fault of whoever
decided to use a non-standard debug macro. There -
I think I've managed to spread the blame fairly evenly
||four thousand million
||should be in
|Confusing non sequitur
||Sidebar "The Jargon File" appears to be a non sequitur
||Swapping the entire sidebar with following paragraph (i.e. move paragraph
starting 'The Jargon File contains four...' above sidebar) will clarify matters.
||Paragraph beginning 'So what can we do...' has wrong font for 'ints'